Microneedling: Recommended treatment for acne scars in Crown Point, IN
More than 90 percent of adolescents have acne, and it results in scarring in about one percent of the population. Regardless of whether they are deep, narrow ice pick indentations; broad, shallow boxcar depressions; or rolling surface irregularities, acne scars are an emotional issue. At Dermatology NWI in Crown Point, IN, microneedling is a recommended treatment to improve acne scars.
Healing from within
Microneedling is sometimes called collagen induction therapy. This surprisingly gentle technique leaves surface skin intact, while effectively breaking up scar tissue and enhancing collagen production.
What to expect
- You relax comfortably on the treatment table.
- Skin is cleansed.
- Treatment areas are lubricated with water to allow the hand piece to glide easily.
- The device contains a multitude of hair-fine needles, calibrated to penetrate skin at a precise depth.
- It is passed over skin in various directions, creating microscopic columns in the epidermis.
- Skin is cleansed again.
- It may be coated with a special nourishing serum, which will have superior absorption from the microneedling.
- Skin is protected with a non-irritating sunscreen.
- For up to two days post-procedure, you will look like you have a mild sunburn, but there is essentially no downtime.
- After a few days, surface skin will peel lightly.
- Meanwhile, your body is sending fresh stores of collagen and elastin to heal the microinjuries, while encouraging cellular regeneration.
- Noticeable change in skin texture is typically seen within six weeks, and improvement continues for about three months.
- Up to three to six treatments spaced four to six weeks apart, are usually needed to see optimal results depending on whether the treatment is for acne scarring or anti-aging.
Microneedling is also ideal for fine lines and wrinkles, sun damage, rough skin texture, stretch marks, and rosacea. To find out if this procedure is recommended for your situation, Call Dermatology NWI serving Crown Point and Merrillville areas in Northwest Indiana at (219) 785-8188 to schedule a consultation.
These results are after multiple sessions of microneedling treatments.