Crown Point, IN dermatologist recommends laser treatment for brown spots
If your complexion is marred by irregular pigmentation, you are not alone. Brown spots are very common in women and men over 50, and they may occur at any age. Dermatology NWI in Crown Point, IN has leading edge laser technologies for effective treatment that leaves skin youthfully radiant.
What causes brown spots?
Whether you call them age, sun, or liver spots, these superficial blemishes generally have a common cause – cumulative sun exposure.
Melanin is a pigment produced by a type of skin cells call melanocytes. Melanin resides in the top layers of skin. Its purpose is to shield deeper layers from UV penetration. Thus, when subjected to the sun, surface skin darkens to provide more protection. However, repeated UV exposure mutates the DNA in skin cells. One of the symptoms is hyperpigmentation – brown spots that occur when melanin in overproduced in clusters, rather than dispersed evenly.
How complexions in Crown Point, IN improve with laser treatment for brown spots
Dr. Ashvin Garlapati utilizes state of the laser instrumentation to lighten brown spots. At Dermatology NWI, treatment is personalized to your skin type, body chemistry, and health history. However, the procedure generally follows these steps:
- You relax comfortably in the treatment chair.
- Skin is cleansed.
- Topical anesthetic is applied.
- Eye protection is provided.
- The clinician directs laser energy to the specific area of hyperpigmentation.
- The handpiece emits pulses of high-intensity light that break up pigment clusters. Treatment is tailored to the depth of your brown spots. Several sessions may be needed for optimal clearance.
- Skin is gently cleansed again. A soothing, moisturizing gel and ice are applied to reduce discomfort, swelling, and redness.
Skin will look and feel like a sunburn, then peel. Depending on the type of laser used, the healing period varies from several days to two weeks. In most cases, you may begin wearing makeup in about three days. Daily sunscreen is a must! As healing occurs, brown spots first darken, then flake off as fresh, rejuvenated, evenly-toned skin emerges.
Is laser treatment the best solution for your brown spots? Call Dermatology NWI in Crown Point, IN at (219) 785-8188 to find out!